Braised pork belly in chili sauce
Preparation time: 30 min.
Cooking or baking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total preparation time: 2 hours
Braised pork belly in chilli sauce - your mouth will be watering!
- 1 tablespoon of peanut oil
- 1.5 kg pork belly, cut in half lengthwise and cut into 3 cm thick slices
- 110 g brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, cut into thin slices
- 2 cm fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 small chili peppers, free from seeds and finely chopped
- 3 purple shallots, cut into thin strips
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper and salt
- Cut 500g aubergines into bite sized cubes
- 200 g of fresh spinach leaves
- steamed jasmine rice for serving
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or Dutch oven. Add the pork belly slices in portions and fry until golden brown. Take out and set aside.
- Sprinkle in the sugar and dissolve for 1 minute while stirring. Add the garlic, ginger, chili peppers and shallots and sauté for 2-3 minutes until the sugar is golden brown caramelised.
- Put the meat back in the pot, add the fish sauce, the white pepper, a little salt and 180 ml of water and stir. Bring to a boil and cook covered over a moderate heat for about 1 hour until the meat is tender.
- Add the eggplant and cook for another 30 minutes. Occasionally check the amount of sauce and if necessary add water.
- Finally, fold in the spinach and serve with steamed jasmine rice. Good succeed!