Make wheat tortillas yourself
Preparation time: 10 min.
Cooking or baking time: 2 min.
Rest period: 1 hour
Total preparation time: 1 hr. 12 min.
With this homemade wheat tortillas recipe your wraps will taste better around the world.
Since these wheat tortillas naturally contain no preservatives, they taste best fresh and warm from the pan. Give it a try, it's easy!
Ingredients for 8 wheat tortillas
- 370 g wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 50 g Palmin Soft or Biskin
- 1/8 L of warm water
- Put the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Mix everything well.
- Then add the vegetable fat and cut well with a dough mixer / chop and mix everything well again.
- Add the warm water and use a fork to make a "shaggy dough".
- Dust the work surface with some flour, take the dough out of the bowl and knead for about 3 - 4 minutes until it is nice and smooth. After kneading, the dough should no longer be very sticky.
- Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces, each about 70 g and make into small balls.
- Cover the 8 dough balls with plastic wrap so that they do not dry out. Let it rest for at least 30 minutes, covered up to 2 hours on the work surface.
- When you're ready to bake your wheat tortillas, heat a coated pan without Oil or similar, on middle Heat.
- Meanwhile spread some flour on the work surface and roll out a dough ball with a rolling pin into a tortilla. Please leave the remaining balls covered.
- The dough patties should be so thin that you can dimly see your work surface or it should be almost as big as your pan.
- Once the pan has heated, put the batter in the pan. Make sure that the pan is not too hot, so that the dough flat does not burn. The tortillas should only get light brown dots no black ones.
- As soon as bubbles form, after about 45 to 60 seconds, turn the wheat patties with a spatula. And also bake the other side for about 45 to 60 seconds. If there are huge bubbles, please let them peal so that the wheat patties can be baked evenly.
- Have a plate with either a large piece of aluminum foil or a clean kitchen towel ready. So that you can wrap the finished tortillas in it to keep them nice and warm.
A few more tips
Wheat tortillas are only foldable as long as they are warm. Once they've gotten cold, they're too tight to roll up.
- Therefore, you can either put them again to heat in a non-fat frying pan, per side about 10 seconds or
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees and warm the wrapped alfalfa tortillas for about 10 minutes.
The remaining wheat tortillas can also be frozen well. But please cool down first, before you freeze it.
Have fun trying!