Red wine roast from the Römertopf
Preparation time: 15 min.
Cooking or baking time: 3 hours
Rest period: 12 hours
Total preparation time: 15 hours 15 minutes
The summer does not show its best side this year and so you can bring in August a hearty roast on the table: "Roast beef in red wine from the Römertopf"
For this roast you need:
- about 1 kg of roast beef
- 3 onions
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 200 g of carrots
- 1/2 medium celery tuber
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 1 tsp allspice grains
- 500 ml strong (but certainly without hesitation cheap) red wine
- Gurnard for searing
- The meat is washed, spotted dry and doused in a bowl with the red wine. In addition, a peeled onion cut into rings, the spices and the bay leaves (for better flavor once kink / break).
- The roast is now in the fridge for a day and is turned several times in the sud.
- Before the start of the preparation the next day the Römertopf is thoroughly watered.
- During this time, the remaining vegetables (onions, carrots and celery) are cleaned and cut into small pieces.
- The beef is removed from the red wine, dabbed dry and seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Heat clarified butter in a frying pan and sauté the roast from all sides, pass the broth through a colander and catch.
- Now place the roast in the well-watered Römertopf, add the vegetables and the stock, close the lid.
Stir at 175 degrees (circulating 150 degrees) for about 3 hours - the longer the better, for. B. also 4 hours at 160 degrees (convection 130 degrees).
After the cooking time, take the roast out of the Römertopf, put the liquid and the vegetables in a bowl and grind with the electric blender / magic wand to a creamy sauce, possibly season with salt and / or pepper.
The sauce is made by the pureed vegetables of pleasant consistency, they need not be thickened additionally.
We like very typical dumplings and red cabbage.