Make crab chips / lobster chips yourself
Preparation time: 30 min.
Cooking or baking time: 45 min.
Rest period: 1 hour
Total preparation time: 2 hours 15 minutes
This recipe is very elaborate, but believe me, it really is worth it! Those who like the industrially produced crab chips or Kroeproek as they are called will love them.
- 250 g of crab meat or lobster meat to taste
- 300 g tapioca flour (you get in the good Asia shop or delicatessen)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of white pepper
- possibly other Asian spices according to taste (asks the seller best for a suitable spice mixture)
- Oil for frying
- Puree the crabs to a homogeneous mass. Stir in flour, salt and pepper and knead into a firm dough. It's best to take your hands here. From the electric mixer, I advise off, because the dough could stick a little.
- Divide the dough into three to four equal parts. Form each serving into a roll. How thick you should be depends on your personal taste. I recommend finger-thick rollers!
- Steam the roles now. If you do not have a steamer or something similar, you may want to hang a sieve in the pot, or put a plate of oil on a cup or eggcup. Make sure that the rollers are not in contact with the water and there is always water in the pot. The whole thing about 45 minutes.
- Wrap rolls in a slightly damp cloth and allow to cool in the refrigerator or refrigerator.
- After cooling cut off thin slices from the rolls. For this one needs a really sharp knife. If the dough sticks, moisten the knife with cold water. Dry the slices overnight at low temperature in the oven. In summer, this is also possible in the sun.
- The finished Kroepoek can be fried very well.
- Caution when frying! The chips still grow considerably in fat. It's best to fry a chip first to see how much space there is at the same time. The chips taste best when they are still slightly warm.
The ingredients can of course be varied to taste. I made the last chopped peppers and it tasted fantastic. Soon I will try a variant with wild garlic.
Incidentally, after drying, the unfrittierten chips can also be kept uncooled for a few weeks in airtight containers.