Pickled Sauerbraten free after Rhenish style
Preparation time: 30 min.
Cooking or baking time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Total preparation time: 2 hours 10 minutes
There are certainly hundreds of Sauerbratenrezepten and each is certainly very delicious in its own way, but this is from now on my absolute favorite recipe for a magnificent. "Sauerbraten, free after Rhenish style ?.
The list of ingredients may sound a bit strange, but I experimented with the original ingredients for a "real" one. Rhenish Sauerbraten had not at hand, but enough alternatives.
First, the marinade is prepared, in which the meat (beef, in this case about 2 kg), about 8-10 days in the refrigerator rests and becomes tender. The meat, if it is abundantly and continuously covered with the marinade, simply ignore during this time!
- 0.5 L vinegar - preferably red wine vinegar, but also any other (I took homemade red blackberry vinegar)
- 1 L red wine (quiet very cheap discounterware)
- 15 juniper berries
- 10 grains allspice
- 5 cloves
- 2 thick onions (variety does not matter)
- 2 carrots
- 3-4 bay leaves (bump or break)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
Shortly taste, if it "fits", so if it tastes so that you do not drop the spoon, possibly missing sugar or vinegar.
The ingredients are put in a saucepan and simmered for 3-4 minutes. When the liquid is completely cold, the beef is put into it. It is important that the meat is completely covered.
The container is closed or well covered and now waits in the refrigerator for its destination.
- 3 tablespoons of beetroot
- 2 tbsp raisins / sultanas
- 150 g pumpernickel
- 2 thick slices of honey cake (breakfast cake)
- 5-6 pepper nuts with chocolate
- 2-3 pieces of stomach bread
- 3 tablespoons berry jam
- Salt pepper
- After the appropriate time, the roast is taken out of the marinade, but pour it through a sieve and catch it.
- Sort carrots and onions, pat dry, dispose of the rest.
- Dry the roast, pepper, salt and sauté vigorously with the onions and carrots from the marinade in clarified butter from all sides.
- Mince the pepper nuts, stomach bread, honey cake and pumpernickel, fry with half of the raisins.
- Add jam / marmalade.
- Add turnip herb (sugar beet syrup) and fry for about 5 minutes.
- Then deglaze with half of the marinade, close the pot and leave to stew for about 1.5 hours on a smaller flame.
- If necessary, always pour some marinade.
- If the roast is tender, remove from pot / pan.
- Purée the sauce with the hand blender and add the remaining raisins, simmer for another 5 minutes. Possibly. seasoning. Thickening should not be necessary.
The Sauerbraten is now sliced in the fiber direction and served on the plate with the sauce.
If the brown sauce is not dark enough, blacken with sugar couleur.
Here the quick and easy preparation of sugar couleur
- Brown 3 tbsp of brown sugar in the pan
- Deglaze with water and mix with constant stirring until a syrup has formed.
For this I serve dumplings (bread dumplings or raw dumplings) and in the cold season fresh red cabbage braised in goose fat and pomegranate syrup.
In summer I prefer caramelised bunched carrots or fresh bacon beans as a side dish.
We like to drink wine for dinner and it fits a not too heavy red wine from South Africa.