Chicken liver with mushrooms
Preparation time: 15 min.
Cooking or baking time: 15 min.
Rest period: 15 min.
Total preparation time: 45 min.
Liver is not everybody's cup of tea. I like her myself, but my family never really loved it. So I came to this recipe at some point, which mitigates the pungent liver taste a little, without taking it completely and thus makes it edible for potential Leberverweigerer.
- 500 g of chicken liver, which is not so intense from home
- some flour, to munch
- 1 onion, diced
- 200 g of fresh mushrooms, cleaned and, depending on size, cut into small pieces
- 50 ml dry red wine
- 400 ml roast stock
- salt and pepper
- Oil for frying
- something beurre manié to tie
- Rinse the chicken liver with cold water, pat dry and cut away all the fat. Be careful not to leave any parts of the bile (yellowish or greenish brown) that spoils all the food because it tastes very bitter. If necessary, divide liver pieces, then lightly mottle.
- Sauté the liver in hot oil from all sides and remove from the pan (it is still raw in the middle). In the same fat, let the mushrooms and onions take color, season with salt and pepper and deglaze with red wine and bring to a boil. Completely reduce the wine, then add the roast stock.
- Boil again and set. I like doing that with Beurre manié (I'll explain how it works), but you can also use starch or sauce binder.
- Switch off the stovetop and add the liver again and let it rest for about 15-20 minutes (depending on the thickness of the pieces). This keeps the liver tender and juicy.
Now briefly to Beurre manié, I always have some in the fridge in stock and it is easy to do. Knead butter and flour in equal parts and finish. It has the advantage that you can add them in small pieces gradually to the sauce and so obtains the perfect bond, which is also more durable than starch bonds, but sometimes z. B. lose their grip when reheating.
As a side dish I like rice, but also pasta or potatoes, fit easily.
I hope, I could make you feel like trying it with liver.