Remove bitter substances in chicory
Total preparation time: 15 min.
The really bitter chicory, belongs to the "prehistoric" time since it has managed to breed much milder varieties. Nevertheless, many of the rest of the bitter substances are too much and they avoid this healthy vegetables.
There is a trick to improve the taste:
Already when buying, you should pay attention to the brightest possible coloring. As soon as a glow of green appears, bitter substances are activated, so keep your hands off them.
Do not buy in stock, but consume quickly. Using a sharp kitchen knife, generously cut out a cone at the bottom of the stalk, then place the chicory with the bottom end in lukewarm salted water for half an hour.
Ready for further processing, for example as follows: Preparation time no 10 minutes.
- 3-4 chicory (in the supermarket is usually a 3-pack)
- 2-3 stems of smooth parsley, a little onion green or chives
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard - or other from stock
- 1 cup of sweet cream
- 1 egg
- Salt, pepper, pinch of sugar
- 50 g smoked bacon (mixed)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Beat egg with cream, mustard, pepper, salt, pinch of sugar, until smooth.
- Wash and chop herbs.
- Heat the oil in the pan, cut the bacon into strips, fry until crispy and remove from the pan.
- Then, in the fat remaining in the pan, briefly sauté the prepared quartered chicory, turning it over once.
- Pour egg-cream mixture over it, cover it on, cook plate and let it falter.
- Top with the bacon stems and serve with the herbs sprinkled on top. (Tastes even without herbs, who has none there.)
- Of this amount, 2-3 people should be well fed. With fresh farmhouse bread or mashed potatoes.